Thursday, September 6, 2007

rocky mountains on my mind

Strange coincidences and nostalgic longings. Yesterday, during "nap" time,
I was working on a short story I've been revising some time. I spent
the bulk of yesterday's writing session working on a scene that
takes place at the Mountain Sun Brewery in Boulder, Colorado,
a lovely, friendly, vibrant pub where I used to hang out and
drink Java Porter--a miraculous blend of beer and coffee-- when I was in my mid-twenties.
When naptime ended, I went to check the mail. The box was stuffed with the usual mess of catalogs, bills, and solicitations, but also my "Colorado State" alumni magazine. How funny, I thought. I've just been writing about Colorado.
Wednesday is my running night. On the first Wednesday of the month, we meet up after our run for beer and food at Archie Moore's in Wallingford. A few minutes after we were seated, my running pal, Jim Dalton, strolled in wearing a "Mountain Sun" t-shirt. Coincidence, or some kind of sign??? Ahhh, Colorado, I miss you so!

No comments: