Tuesday, December 3, 2013

the heart of december


Note: This month, I am participating in a blog project called Reverb 13. Each day during December, subscribers are emailed a writing prompt.

Today's prompt: What does your heart tell you?


My heart, late autumn:

I confess that I sometimes question,
That I always crave, and often pine;
That I keep looking for that photograph, never taken, of a woman who once was,
or will be, me.
And wonder if, and whether, and if ever.

I get vertigo on the most ordinary peaks
And am sometimes haunted by the Borealis,
Dancing unabashedly in the darkness,
Hinting at a cosmic magic
That exists beyond my grasp.

And sometimes, in a quiet moment,
I feel, with sudden apprehension,
That the story I'm writing has no theme
And is reaching a conclusion
That is out of my hands.

But I think I will love you in spite of
and just the same.

4 comments:

Jen said...

So lovely! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Kat McNally said...

Loving us in spite of all this -- or maybe BECAUSE of all this -- is what our hearts are for. x

EHoward said...

Fantastic ... Such a wonderful melancholy. Beautiful work. More like this sister-friend!

tricia said...

Thanks, everyone. I should probably note that this is a poem I wrote two years ago, but happened to be in the process of revising when I saw the prompt for yesterday. Hope that's not "cheating" :).