Sunday, March 9, 2008

politickin' at the preschool

On Wednesday, when I arrived at Dylan's preschool, his teacher said, "Oh, before you go, I want to tell you some things Dylan said about George Bush."
My first thought, of course, was "Uh oh."
But Dylan was tactful. Apparently, during storytime, the teacher came upon a picture of George Washington. Somehow the terms "president" and "George" must have sparked an association in Dylan's mind, because he raised his hand and said, "You know what? George Bush is not doing a good job."
His teacher, surprised at such an interjection from a 4-year-old, laughed and said, "Oh, really? Why not?"
Dylan replied, simply, "He's not helping people."
Considering our strong opinions on that topic, I was relieved to hear that's all that had been said. But this incident, like many others, has made me think about the many ways in which I need to censor myself and even, at times, the outside world. I generally listen to NPR in the car, but now that Dylan has such a keen ear, I've had to switch to CD's. The other day he said to Bryan, "Some radio guys talk about killing and dead people. Mom listens to that radio in the car." Yikes.
But NPR has its advantages for them, too: Alexa wants to know more about the democratic presidential candidate "Rocco Bama" (or, as that underhanded McCain calls him, Rocco Hussein Bama).
Here's to Rocco!

No comments: